PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > The PowWeb Platform > PHP
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 7-31-08, 01:19 PM   #1
notset4life

Capture IP in Registration Form

I am trying to capture a user's IP and add it to a database from a PHP web page registration form.
I added this to the form:

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="ip_address" value="<? $ip = getenv("REMOTE_ADDR"); print $ip; ?>">
The "value" actually shows the IP address on the page when used elsewhere, so I assumed the hidden form here would pick it up.
After submission, I insert $ip_address into database - but it comes up EMPTY. No data is added to my IP field.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I just figured it out. In MYSQL database, I had VARCHAR as the field TYPE. I changed it to INT, but that produces a 5 digit number.
I need it to format in the database as the full ip address, - So to settle this, what is the best field TYPE to use for an IP address? - INT,Text,Double?

thanks again

Last edited by notset4life; 7-31-08 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Figured it out - somewhat
Old 7-31-08, 04:12 PM   #2
genericnumber1

I've always just used varchar.. it should work fine as long as you don't put too small of a length limit on it.

Also, it's more secure to get the ip address as a variable and add it directly on the page that processes the form. If you try to pass it through a form, someone could easily change it to whatever they want.
Old 7-31-08, 04:26 PM   #3
notset4life

thanks for the help. Right now, it's a "hidden form" field, but I see you can easily see that in the source code.

If you don't mind, how do you "add the variable"?
Old 7-31-08, 04:40 PM   #4
notset4life

actually, a stupid question - I can figure out the variable. thanks again
Closed Thread